The Big Ten Conference released the annual All-Big Ten teams this evening live on the Big Ten Network and several Indiana players were among the honorees.
Michigan’s Trey Burke was named the conference’s player of the year, edging Victor Oladipo and Cody Zeller. But Oladipo was named the defensive player of the year and was also on the all-Big Ten first team, along with Zeller, Burke, Michigan’s Tim Hardaway Jr. and Ohio State’s Deshaun Thomas. On the media’s first team, Ohio State’s Aaron Craft replaced Hardaway Jr.
Oladipo and Burke were unanimous picks for the all-conference first team. Oladipo and Craft were unanimous selections on the all-defensive team.
Indiana’s Will Sheehey was named the sixth man of the year, Christian Watford was on the all-Big Ten third team, and Yogi Ferrell was on the all-conference freshman team and also an all-Big Ten honorable selection by the media. Jordan Hulls was named all-Big Ten honorable mention by the coaches.
Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan was named the league’s coach of the year by both the coaches and media.
Derek Elston was IU’s Big Ten Sportsmanship Award honoree.
Full All-Big Ten teams after the jump.
Indiana wrapped up the regular season on Sunday afternoon with a come-from-behind 72-71 thriller over Michigan at the Crisler Center. The victory gave the Hoosiers an outright Big Ten championship for the first time since 1993.
Here’s a look at five takeaways from IU’s win over the Wolverines:
· Zeller plays the role of closer: Most of the debate for Big Ten player of the year coming into Sunday centered around Trey Burke and Victor Oladipo. Cody Zeller, however, came into the game as the leading scorer and rebounder on the conference’s most successful team and IU’s star sophomore proved just how dominant he can be in the game’s final minutes. Oladipo closed the door on Michigan State last month in East Lansing and on Sunday, Zeller seized the opportunity and scored IU’s final six points in 52 seconds. His final basket with 13 seconds remaining gave the Hoosiers the lead for good at 72-71. Afterward, Oladipo endorsed his friend and teammate for the league’s player of the year award. “Cody, Cody, Cody Zeller should be the player of the year,” Oladipo said. “If you guys don’t give it to him, no disrespect, but there’s something wrong with y’all.” While he’s unlikely to beat out Burke or Oladipo, Zeller gave voters something to think about on the season’s final day.
· Led by Oladipo, Indiana owns the glass: The Hoosiers knew they didn’t rebound the ball well enough in Tuesday’s loss to Ohio State and dominated Michigan in the rebounding battle all afternoon. Indiana rebounded 57.1 percent of its misses and Oladipo led the charge with seven of his game-high 13 rebounds coming on the offensive end. In all, IU finished with 24 offensive rebounds and 17 second chance points, a fact that was not lost on Michigan coach John Beilein. “I thought we defended them very well at times, most of the time but we just let them crash three or four guys and somebody always seemed to be missing someone so the rebounding was a huge part of this game,” he said. “It’s a shame when we defend so well and they just walk in and get a layup. It happened over and over.”
· Sheehey bounces back from poor Ohio State game: Indiana has proven to be a resilient team all season as proven by the fact that the Hoosiers have bounced back from every loss with a win. Not only was the story of IU bouncing back as a team present on Sunday, there were also individuals who avenged poor performances from Tuesday. Will Sheehey shot just 1-of-6 in IU’s loss to Ohio State and for the first time I can remember this season, he wasn’t the first man off the bench. Maybe that served as extra motivation for the IU junior or perhaps it was just a proven scorer finding his touch after an off night, but Sheehey’s 10 points on 4-of-9 shooting were pivotal.
ANN ARBOR, Mich. — Many voters for the Big Ten player of the year said this week they would wait until after Sunday’s game to make their decision on who should win the award. The consensus seems to be that it is down to Michigan’s Trey Burke and Indiana’s Victor Oladipo, who matched up against each other at times in Indiana’s 72-71 win at Michigan.
Burke finished the game with 20 points on 7-of-20 shooting, four assists, three rebounds, three steals and four turnovers. Oladipo had 14 points on 7-of-18 shooting, 13 rebounds (seven offensive), three assists and two turnovers.
Indiana’s Cody Zeller outplayed both Burke and Oladipo on Sunday, finishing the game with 25 points and 10 rebounds.
So who’s the player of the year?
“I’ve been saying all year long he should be the player of the year,” Oladipo said.
“Who should?,” he was asked.
“Cody, Cody, Cody Zeller should be the player of the year,” Oladipo said. “If you guys don’t give it to him, no disrespect, but there’s something wrong with y’all.”
Zeller wasn’t so sure.
“If the team wins, hey, we’ll see what happens,” he said.
The winner will be announced tonight on the Big Ten Network.
ANN ARBOR, Mich. — Against the odds, Indiana clinched sole possession of the Big Ten title. That’s the way it was supposed to be, though. Right?
Think about it. This Indiana team, at least the seniors and the juniors on it, started from the bottom with nothing ever handed to them. They grew into the nation’s No. 1 team, became everyone’s pick to win the national title after a road win at Michigan State, and then fell off again.
A loss at Minnesota had some questioning the Hoosiers’ toughness. A home defeat against Ohio State on Tuesday night brought even more questions.
Maybe clinching a conference crown at home on Senior Night would have been top idealistic. Would have seemed too perfect, too easy. Nothing for these seniors has ever come that way.
Instead, the Hoosiers went on the road to Michigan, where no team had won this season and only one had won in the last two years, and pulled out a fairly miraculous win.
They looked disorganized and sloppy in the first half, and trailed by five points with only 52 seconds left. The Big Ten title was bound to be split between four teams.
But the Hoosiers, much like they did in East Lansing last month, found a way to win with big plays at the end.
Indiana 72, Michigan 71. The Hoosiers have their first championship of the season.
“It just gives us momentum,” said Indiana forward Will Sheehey. “We needed to win the Big Ten title outright. We stumbled our last couple weeks, but we just stuck with it together.”
If it was just a share?
“It definitely wouldn’t feel this sweet,” guard Remy Abell said.
Other than when they jumped out to a 10-3 lead, the Hoosiers looked unlike themselves in the first half. Shots didn’t go, lineups didn’t make sense and the edge didn’t seem to be there.
Despite playing much better in the second stanza, Indiana still trailed by five with 52 seconds left. Michigan makes free throws and protects the ball, the game is over.
But Tim Hardaway Jr. and Trey Burke each missed the front end of one and ones, and Cody Zeller scored six straight points to put the Hoosiers back on top.
Thoughts on a 72-71 win against the Wolverines:
This had the makings of a disaster.
The Hoosiers looked out of sorts for too long in the first half after bolting out to a 10-3 lead. Hanner Mosquera-Perea — who hadn’t played since MSU on Feb. 19 — and Remy Abell were hoisting misses during a nearly five-minute scoring drought. After a couple buckets, Indiana would then hit another four-minute scoring drought and find itself down a season-high 11 points, as the Crisler Center reached fever pitch.
It was maybe the most listless nine minutes of play from the Hoosiers all season in a game they desperately needed to bring it. But eventually the ship began to sail the right course again. Victor Oladipo got — what else? — a steal and a lay-in. Christian Watford (1-of-7) made his only bucket of the game on — what else? — a trailing 3-pointer. Cody Zeller, after looking soft, started to assert himself for scores and — what else? — trips to the free throw line.
At half, despite scoring under a point per possession, the Hoosiers were down just 33-30.
The second half would be a back-and-forth affair. Indiana went up 36-35 on a Jordan Hulls 3-pointer. The Wolverines then pushed the lead to six at the 15:22 mark, after back-to-back Trey Burke and Tim Hardaway 3-pointers. In the final 20 minutes, the Wolverines would connect on 7-of-12 from distance and never turned the ball over in a stadium they were perfect in this season … until this late afternoon. Burke continually broke down the D, kept his dribble to the baseline and found open teammates in the corner, who would connect on the 3-ball.
But the Hoosiers stayed in it all second half because they had some advantages of their own — namely size and offensive rebounding. Zeller would continue to attack and get to the line. He finished with a beastly 25 points (10-of-19, 5-of-8 from the line) and 10 rebounds. He must continue to attack and stay the course and want it like he did today, with tournament time officially here. It wasn’t all great, as Zeller recorded six of Indiana’s 14 turnovers, but with his aggression comes a bit of sloppiness now and again.
In a game they didn’t shoot particularly well, (42.9 percent from the field, 47.9 effective field goal percentage), second-chance points were enormous for the Hoosiers. They rebounded 57.1 percent of their misses and the effort led to 17 second-chance points. Jeremy Hollowell got a rebound and put it back in. Will Sheehey — who had a huge 10 points, including two triples — got a putback for a score. Victor Oladipo ripped a Watford airball prayer out of the sky as the shot clock was expiring and connected for two as the buzzer sounded.
Check out 24 photos by Dustin Johnson from Indiana’s 72-71 win over Michigan in the Crisler Center in the embedded photo gallery after the jump.