The Big Ten held its weekly coaches teleconference on Monday morning to review the sixth week of conference play. Here are some notes and quotes from Tom Crean’s appearance:
· Prior to the call, the conference announced that Wisconsin’s Nigel Hayes was named the league’s freshman of the week for the third time this season and Ohio State’s Aaron Craft was named the league’s player of the week for the second time this season.
· Opening statement: “Our focus right now is just on the week ahead and getting back to practice today after taking yesterday off and totally being locked into Penn State after we go through the corrections and the good and the not so good from the other night and what we can learn from that. We’re ready to roll.”
· Crean was asked about coaching a team that draws a strong response and how his message to his players about dealing with fan behavior has changed or evolved: “I think the biggest thing and obviously I’m sure that every coach in the country is going to be reminding their team of it today, if they didn’t yesterday … and the bottom line for us is that you can’t ever let anybody get in the way of your career, get in the way of the way of your responsibility to your team and most importantly, you can’t ever let anybody get to you in a way that’s going to affect you in a negative way.
“It’s a lot easier said than done, there’s no question about that. The bottom line is, the more that you can treat, especially on the road, which is hard, but the more that you can treat the noise and treat the barbs and treat all of that as just faceless and nameless, the better you’re going to be. Again, that’s hard to do. It’s very, very hard to do. It’s very easy to talk about it. It’s a lot harder to actually do it because you want people to have an incredibly competitive spirit when they’re playing. It doesn’t matter if you’re a coach or you’re a player, it’s very, very hard to turn that off. And if you turn it off too quickly, you don’t win games. But the bottom line is you’ve got to keep trying to remind people that the fight is within the lines. The fight is within the 94 feet. The fight is within the football field, the baseball diamond, whatever it is. You keep the fight in there, you keep your edge in there and you try to treat the rest of it just as noise that you work through.”
Tom Crean met with the media following Indiana’s 66-60 loss to Minnesota on Saturday night at Williams Arena.
Watch his postgame comments in the media player below:
Video courtesy of J.B. Bauer of LateNightHoops.com.
The Big Ten held its weekly coaches teleconference on Monday morning to review the fifth week of conference play. Here are some notes and quotes from Tom Crean’s appearance:
· Prior to the call, the conference announced that Noah Vonleh was named the league’s freshman of the week for the seventh time this season. The seven weekly honors tie Vonleh for second most since the award began in 2010. Northwestern’s Drew Crawford and Penn State’s D.J. Newbill shared Big Ten player of the week honors.
· Opening Statement: “We had a great victory yesterday over Michigan and now we are right on into Minnesota. We have a week to get better. We have a week to prepare for them and we’re looking forward to it.”
· On IU having six days off before its next game: “We just have to focus on areas of improvement and getting better at areas of strengths. At the same time, work it into the game plan as we get deeper into the week, just making sure that we make it as competitive as possible. At the same time, get them the rest that they need.”
· On Evan Gordon being ill leading up to Sunday’s game: “He just was under the weather. He was being treated for the flu and, even though that came back negative, he was definitely under the weather for a couple of days. You’re certainly sick when you are missing practice, which he did. But, he kept his spirit alive and he tried to prepare even when he was away from the team on Saturday. Then, Sunday morning he was back and cleared and I knew we were going to have him in a limited role from basically talking to the doctors and Tim Garl. We wanted to really keep an eye on his minutes yesterday but, at the same time, he came out and played with great energy and he played fantastic.”
Tom Crean met with the media following Indiana’s 63-52 win over No. 10 Michigan on Sunday at Assembly Hall.
Watch his comment in the media player below:
Quotes are available after the jump.
Tom Crean, Austin Etherington and Hanner Mosquera-Perea met with the media on Saturday afternoon to preview Sunday’s game with No. 10 Michigan.
Watch their comments in the media players below:
Tom Crean met with the media following Indiana’s 60-55 loss to Nebraska on Thursday night at Pinnacle Bank Arena.
Watch his postgame comments in the media player below:
(Video by Pat Radigan of Corn Fed Sports for Inside the Hall.)
The Big Ten held its weekly coaches teleconference on Monday morning to review the fourth week of conference play. Here are quotes from Tom Crean’s appearance:
· Opening remarks:
“We feel really good about earning a victory yesterday against Illinois. It was two teams that were absolutely going at it tooth and nail, like most every game in this league is. We defended at a really high level and it’s the fewest points Indiana’s given up (in Big Ten play) since the 2008 season.
“Our defense really grew yesterday. I was impressed with that in a big way. The bottom line is we rebounded the ball. Any time you’re playing against Illinois, a team that has the ability to rebound the ball on both ends like they do, you have to be really good, and our guys were yesterday. We did a great job of not giving up second-chance points. We did a really good job in the second half of taking care of the ball. We executed and made our free throws late and closed it out. That’s the kind of stuff that just helps a team like this, that has so many guys that are going through this for the first time, understand what it takes to win.”