6-Banner Sunday: Mike Woodson gives offseason update and Jerome Hunter picks Xavier
6-Banner Sunday is Inside the Hall’s weekly newsletter in partnership with The Assembly Call. More than 7,800 Indiana fans receive the newsletter each week. In addition to appearing each week on the site, you can also opt to receive 6-Banner Sunday by email. A form to subscribe via email is available at the bottom of this week’s 6-Banner Sunday.
Welcome to another edition of 6-Banner Sunday, a joint production between The Assembly Call and Inside the Hall where we highlight the five most essential IU basketball stories of the past week, plus take a look at how the other IU sports programs are doing.
There was a lot going on in the world of Indiana basketball this week.
Also, on this week’s Assembly Call Radio, we discuss Mike Woodson’s press conference and talk about recruiting.
In this edition of 6-Banner Sunday:
• Former Indiana forward Jerome Hunter announces transfer to Xavier
• Freshmen Focus: Tamar Bates
• A closer look at the Miller Kopp addition and his potential impact at Indiana
• Mike Woodson talks recruiting plans, upcoming workouts, defensive style of play and more
• How Mike Woodson’s personality is driving Indiana’s culture
• Hoosier Roundup
Banner #1 – Former Indiana forward Jerome Hunter announces transfer to Xavier
Former Indiana forward Jerome Hunter announces transfer to Xavier. Last season Hunter, the 6-foot-7 forward from Pickerington North, averaged 6.3 points and three rebounds in 19.6 minutes per game for the Hoosiers.
A top 60 player nationally in Indiana’s 2018 recruiting class, Hunter’s career in Bloomington never fully took off. As a freshman, Hunter never suited up for the Hoosiers as a leg injury forced him to have surgery and miss the entire 2018-19 season. Following a successful surgery and rehab process, Hunter played 30 games and averaged 3.8 points and 2.1 rebounds in 14.4 minutes per game during his redshirt freshman season.
Now Hunter will get a chance to finish his career in the Big East for Xavier, which is coached by Travis Steele. The Musketeers finished 13-8 last season and are currently No. 13 nationally in Bart Torvik’s preseason ratings for the 2021-22 season
Banner #2 – Freshmen Focus: Tamar Bates
Inside the Hall had a great article by Tyler Tachman this week about incoming freshmen Tamar Bates.
Tyler takes a good hard look at what Bates could bring to the table for Indiana next season.
Banner #3 – A closer look at the Miller Kopp addition and his potential impact at Indiana
Inside the Hall also had a great article by Alex Bozich, taking a closer look at the Miller Kopp addition and his potential impact at Indiana.
Indiana’s new addition is hoping to expand his game this season at Indiana, showing that he can do some things that he did not get to do during his time in Evanston.
Banner #4 – Mike Woodson talks recruiting plans, upcoming workouts, defensive style of play and more
Indiana coach Mike Woodson met with the media Wednesday morning for more than 20 minutes and addressed a variety of topics.
Woodson discussed the program’s recruiting plans for this summer, what he hopes to accomplish when the team begins workouts next month, defensive style of play and much more.
Banner #5 – How Mike Woodson’s personality is driving Indiana’s culture
Early in his tenure, Mike Woodson’s personality is driving Indiana’s culture.
It is becoming clear that Woodson’s welcoming persona is one of the driving forces of the program. This much became evident in his first recruiting ventures, starting with his coaching staff, where nearly all his co-workers shared a similar sentiment.
Banner #6 – Hoosier Roundup
• Baseball continues to struggle down the stretch and will almost certainly miss the NCAA tournament for just the second time in eight years. They did get a victory over Ohio State this week. However, they also lost to the Buckeyes and twice to Maryland to pretty much seal their lack of postseason play.
• Soccer star forward Victor Bezerra finished runner-up for the MAC Hermann Trophy.
• Women’s Basketball star guard Ali Patberg was named a 2020-2021 CoSIDA Academic All-American.
• A golfer set a freshmen record.
• Track and Field competed at the NCAA East Prelims.
Thanks for your continued support for The Assembly Call. We’ll be back next weekend with a new roundup.
Now go enjoy yourself a 6-banner Sunday.