IU, Big Ten centric notes from the Blue Ribbon college basketball yearbook
The fourth college basketball yearbook published this fall, the Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, was released this week.
After being picked to finish ninth in the Big Ten by Athlon Sports, 10th in the league by Street and Smith’s and 12th by Lindy’s Sports, Blue Ribbon projects the Hoosiers to finish 12th in the conference.
Here are some notes on Indiana and the Big Ten at-large from the annual publication:
· Blue Ribbon predicts the order of finish in the Big Ten as follows: Michigan State, Purdue, Minnesota, Northwestern, Michigan, Maryland, Wisconsin, Iowa, Penn State, Illinois, Ohio State, Indiana, Nebraska and Rutgers.
· In the Blue Ribbon preseason top 25, the Big Ten teams are Michigan State (2), Purdue (14), Minnesota (18) and Northwestern (23).
· Indiana non-conference opponents in Blue Ribbon preseason top 25 include: Duke (3), Louisville (6), Seton Hall (15) and Notre Dame (19).
· Wisconsin’s Ethan Happ is preseason first team All-America by Blue Ribbon and Michigan State’s Miles Bridges is second team. The first team is Happ, Jock Landale (St. Mary’s), Bonzie Colson (Notre Dame), Michael Porter Jr. (Missouri) and Grayson Allen (Duke).
· Happ is Blue Ribbon’s pick for Big Ten player of the year and Michigan’s Jaaron Simmons is the pick for conference newcomer of the year.
· The preseason all-conference team is Happ, Bridges, Bryant McIntosh (Northwestern), Vincent Edwards (Purdue) and Nate Mason (Minnesota).