A look at some of the remaining 2014 recruiting options
As of today, Indiana will add a trio of recruits, James Blackmon Jr., Max Hoetzel and Robert Johnson, to next season’s roster.
But with the recent decisions of Austin Etherington and Jeremy Hollowell to transfer, along with the departure of Noah Vonleh to the NBA and the midseason transfer of Luke Fischer, the Hoosiers still have three open scholarships for next season.
With the spring signing period beginning on Wednesday, here’s a look at some of the names that remain on the board. Please note that school lists aren’t necessarily all-inclusive, do not denote offers and that this list is in no particular order:
Josh Cunningham, Morgan Park (Ill.), 6-foot-7 forward
· Schools: Bradley, Creighton, DePaul, Indiana, Iowa State, Minnesota, South Carolina
· Notes: Cunningham took his fifth and final official visit to South Carolina over the weekend and is scheduled to announce his decision on Friday, April 18. Per a report over the weekend by Adam Zagoria, St. John’s has come in with a late scholarship offer to Cunningham.
Marial Shayok, Blair Academy (N.J.), 6-foot-7 wing
· Schools: Indiana, La Salle, Marquette, Michigan, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Rutgers, West Virginia
· Notes: Shayok, who was signed with Marquette, received his release from his National Letter of Intent and is back on the market. According to reports, Shayok was offered by Indiana after receiving his release from the Golden Eagles.
Deng Deng, Lee College (Tx.), 6-foot-8 forward
· Schools: Arizona State, Baylor, Gonzaga, Houston, Indiana, LSU, Nebraska, Texas Tech
· Notes: All we know at this point regarding IU’s interest in Deng is that the Hoosiers were reportedly in to visit him last week. Deng had surgery recently to repair a broken ankle, but is rated a four-star prospect and the fourth best junior college prospect by the 247Composite.
Ryan Anderson, Boston College transfer, 6-foot-9 forward
· Schools: Arizona, Indiana, Iowa State, New Mexico, San Diego State, Washington
· Notes: Anderson, who averaged 14.3 points and 7.3 rebounds, won’t be eligible until the 2015-2016 season due to NCAA transfer rules and is going to use the time off to have shoulder surgery. Indiana was mentioned as a school involved in this update from the Washington 247Sports site.
Moses Ayegba, Georgetown transfer, 6-foot-9 center
· Schools: Indiana, Indiana State, LIU, Nebraska, Pepperdine, Rhode Island, Towson, Wichita State.
· Notes: As a graduate transfer, Ayegba, will be eligible immediately. He averaged 1.9 points and 2.8 rebounds last season at Georgetown. Over the weekend, Ayegba took an official visit to Nebraska.
Link Kabadyundi, Alma Academy (Montreal Quebec, Canada), 7-foot-1 center
· Schools: Buffalo, Fresno State, Georgia, Indiana, Oklahoma, Nebraska, New Mexico State, SMU, TCU, UNLV
· Notes: There’s little out there on Kabadyundi, who was once committed to Albany. Hoops Hype Canada mentioned IU has expressed interest in a story last week.
(Photo credit: Worsom Robinson/For Sun-Times Media)