Anderson, Langford lead teams to Regional championships
Only four teams remain in each class following regional play on Saturday in the 108th annual IHSAA boys basketball tournament. IU signee Damezi Anderson and South Bend Riley are still alive in Class 4A as are several other recruiting targets, including New Albany’s Romeo Langford.
Here’s a recap of Saturday’s action across the state:
· Class 4A at Michigan City: IU signee Damezi Anderson and South Bend Riley cruised past Lake Central, 54-38, in the morning session and then beat Elkhart Memorial 75-68 to advance to the semi-state. Indiana assistant coach Ed Schilling was in attendance for the morning session at Michigan City. Anderson scored six points in the win over Lake Central and had 18 in the win over Elkhart Memorial. Anderson broke the St. Joe County scoring record on Saturday as he passed Demetrius Jackson, who played at Mishawaka Marian. South Bend Riley will play Carmel at Lafayette Jefferson on Saturday at 3 p.m. ET.
Valparaiso guard Brandon Newman had 26 points but fouled out in a 67-60 overtime loss to Elkhart Memorial in a regional semifinal.
· Class 4A at Seymour: Class of 2018 five-star recruiting target Romeo Langford and New Albany crushed Bloomington South, 65-45, on Saturday morning to advance to the regional final. Langford finished with 28 points. The Bulldogs beat Center Grove and 2019 target Trayce Jackson-Davis, 69-59, to advance to the semi-state. Langford had 39 points in the regional final win. New Albany will play Warren Central at Seymour on Saturday at 3 p.m. ET.
Jackson-Davis finished with 26 points, eight rebounds and eight blocked shots as Center Grove beat Evansville North, 69-44, in a regional semifinal. In the loss to New Albany, Jackson-Davis finished with 24 points.
Indiana’s Archie Miller and Tom Ostrom were at all three games at Seymour while assistant coach Bruiser Flint joined them for the regional final game on Saturday night. IU signee Robert Phinisee was also at Seymour for all three games.
· Class 4A at Logansport: Flint was in attendance for the morning session at Logansport as class of 2019 Fort Wayne North Side forward and IU recruiting target Keion Brooks Jr. beat Zionsville, 55-51. Brooks Jr. finished with 14 points, nine rebounds, three steals and two blocks in the win. Schilling was at Logansport for the regional championship as North Side fell 54-42 to Carmel. Brooks Jr. finished with 20 points in the season ending loss.
· Class 3A at LaPorte: Class of 2020 guard Trey Galloway and Culver Academies advanced to the semi-state with a 72-48 win over Hammond and a 50-43 win over West Lafayette. Galloway had 14 points in the win over Hammond and 12 points in the win over West Lafayette. Culver Academies will play New Castle on Saturday at 3 p.m. ET at Lafayette Jeff.
· Class 3A at Marion: Class of 2019 forward Mason Gillis and New Castle advanced to the semi-state with a 49-35 win over Angola in the semifinal and a 77-70 win over Marion in the regional final. Gillis had 27 points in the win over Angola and 30 points in the win over Marion. New Castle will play Culver Academies on Saturday at 3 p.m. ET at Lafayette Jeff.