Perfect season continues for Anderson, South Bend Riley
The Indiana High School Athletic Association 2018 state tournament is in full swing and an IU signee and several recruiting targets advanced to regional play on Saturday night.
Here’s a full rundown from Saturday’s action:
· Class 4A at Lafayette Jeff: Future IU point guard Robert Phinisee came up short from advancing to regional play as McCutcheon fell to Zionsville, 60-50. Phinisee finished with 33 points in the loss. He surpassed the 2,000-point plateau in the loss and finished his career with 2,023 points.
· Class 4A at Mishawaka: IU signee Damzei Anderson had 26 points as South Bend Riley cruised past South Bend Adams, 98-58, to claim the sectional crown. Unbeaten Riley will play Lake Central on Saturday at 12 p.m. at Michigan City in a regional semifinal.
· Class 4A at Greenwood: With IU coach Archie Miller in attendance, class of 2019 forward Trayce Jackson-Davis scored 11 points as Center Grove beat Franklin, 74-39. Center Grove will play Evansville North on Saturday at 10 a.m. at Seymour in a regional semifinal.
— Josh Margolis (@MargolisNews) March 4, 2018
· Class 4A at Seymour: Five-star guard Romeo Langford battled double teams all game and finished with 17 points as New Albany beat rival Floyd Central, 51-45, to avenge their only loss of the season. The Bulldogs will play Bloomington South on Saturday at 12 p.m. at Seymour in a regional semifinal. Several IU players were in attendance on Saturday at Seymour:
— Alex Bozich (@insidethehall) March 4, 2018
· Class 4A at East Noble: Bruiser Flint was in attendance as class of 2019 forward Keion Brooks Jr. and Fort Wayne North Side beat Carroll, 57-44. Brooks Jr. had 28 points in the victory. North Side will play Zionsville on Saturday at 10 a.m. at Logansport.
· Class 4A at Chesterton: Class of 2019 guard Brandon Newman poured in 27 points as Valparaiso beat Merrillville, 46-43, to win the sectional title. Valpo will play Elkhart Memorial on Saturday at 10 a.m. at Michigan City.
· Class 4A at Evansville North: Class of 2019 guard Alex Hemenway finished with 27 points, but it wasn’t enough as Castle fell 74-68 to Evansville North in overtime.
· Class 3A at New Castle: Class of 2019 forward Mason Gillis had 16 points as New Castle cruised past Delta, 68-45, for a sectional crown. New Castle will play Angola on Saturday at 12 p.m. at Marion.