The Indiana High School Athletic Association 2018 state tournament is in full swing and several IU signees and recruiting targets advanced in sectional play on Friday night.
Here’s a full rundown from Friday’s action:
· Class 4A at Lafayette Jeff: Future IU point guard Robert Phinisee had 34 points and a career-high 16 rebounds to lead McCutcheon past Lafayette Jeff, 67-53. The win advanced the Mavericks to the sectional final tonight where they’ll face Zionsville and Purdue recruit Isaiah Thompson. Zionsville won the regular season matchup between the two teams, 65-59, on Jan. 13 at McCutcheon. You can watch Phinisee play live tonight here.
· Class 4A at Mishawaka: IU signee Damzei Anderson led the way with 16 points as South Bend Riley remained unbeaten with a 60-47 win over Penn. Anderson and Riley will face South Bend Adams tonight for the sectional title. Riley won the regular season meeting at Adams, 63-59, on Dec. 15. You can watch Anderson play live tonight here.
· Class 4A at Greenwood: With IU associate head coach Tom Ostrom in attendance, Trayce Jackson-Davis finished with 13 points to lead Center Grove past Greenwood, 48-45. Center Grove will play Franklin tonight for the sectional crown. Center Grove won the regular season matchup between the teams 80-61 on Nov. 15 at Franklin. You can watch Jackson-Davis play live tonight here.
· Class 4A at Seymour: Five-star guard Romeo Langford poured in 32 points as New Albany cruised past Seymour, 84-42. The Bulldogs will look to avenge their only regular season loss tonight when they face Floyd Central for the sectional championship. Floyd Central beat New Albany, 49-47, in overtime on Dec. 8. You can watch the game live tonight on IHSAATV.org.
· Class 4A at East Noble: Archie Miller was in attendance as Keion Brooks Jr. and Fort Wayne North Side crushed DeKalb, 61-30. Brooks Jr. had 20 points in the victory. North Side will play Fort Wayne Carroll tonight for the sectional title. Carroll won the regular season meeting between the teams 64-61 on Feb. 6.
· Class 4A at Chesterton: Miller moved from East Noble to Chesterton in time to see Brandon Newman and Valparaiso beat Michigan City, 59-41. Newman, a class of 2019 guard, finished with 16 points, 12 rebounds and four assists. Valpo will play Merrillville tonight for the sectional crown. Valpo won the regular season meeting, 57-54 in overtime, on Jan. 26 at Merrillville.
· Class 4A at Evansville North: IU assistant coach Bruiser Flint was in the building as class of 2019 guard Alex Hemenway and Castle beat Jasper, 64-47. Hemenway finished with 20 points and five rebounds in the win. Castle will play Evansville North tonight in the sectional championship game. Castle won the regular season matchup, 69-57, on Feb. 16.
· Class 3A at New Castle: Class of 2019 forward Mason Gillis had 17 points as New Castle cruised past Muncie Burris, 77-36. New Castle will take on Delta tonight in the title game. New Castle won the regular season meeting, 65-46, on Feb. 8.