Recruiting Notebook: A busy week for unofficial visits
Indiana’s push to add to its current four-man recruiting class for 2013 continued this week as the Hoosiers hosted Semi Ojeleye, a versatile 6-foot-6 forward from Ottawa (KS) on an unofficial visit.
A recent profile of Ojeleye in The Kansas City Star placed Duke at the top of the heap for ESPN.com’s No. 33 player nationally. Ojeleye left Bloomington with an offer and our brief conversation with him Wednesday night seemed to indicate the visit went well. Ojeleye’s trip east also included a Thursday stop at Illinois.
The top 50 forward was at Texas A & M on Wednesday, Texas on Thursday and is scheduled to see Baylor as well.
· USA Basketball’s U17 team begins play today at the FIBA U17 World Championship for Men in Kaunas, Lithuania.
2013 DeMatha (MD) center BeeJay Anya and 2014 Apple Valley (MN) point guard Tyus Jones, who both have offers from IU, are two members of the 12-man roster that also features Jabari Parker, the No. 1 player nationally in 2013.
Anya’s participation in the FIBA tournament, coupled with his schedule with Team Takeover in July, will likely push any visits to August.
· Collin Hartman and Cathedral carried their strong play from last week’s USSFA Shootout over to Mackey Arena on Thursday by winning the Puccini’s Purdue Shootout. The Fighting Irish are a strong candidate to open the season as the No. 1 team in Class 4A.
· 2014 Mount St. Joseph’s (MD) guard Phil Booth, who we profiled earlier this month, took an unofficial visit to Maryland this week and also picked up a scholarship offer from Xavier per multiple reports on Twitter.
Booth’s father, Phil Sr., said earlier this month that the family planned to make a trip to Bloomington either in late June or August.
· A pair of 2014 five-star prospects with Indiana offers took unofficial visits to Kentucky earlier in the week. D’Angelo Russell was in Lexington on Monday and JaQuan Lyle was there Tuesday. Kyle Neddenriep of The Indianapolis Star caught up with Lyle and the update includes quotes on both Kentucky and Purdue and also reveals that the Bosse guard plans to visit IU and Michigan State “soon.”
· 2014 Park Tudor wing Trevon Bluiett took an unofficial visit to Michigan on Monday and left with a scholarship offer. Bluiett is just the third 2014 prospect to receive an offer from the Wolverines. As noted in our mailbag earlier in the week, Bluiett is up to 11 offers which includes four Big Ten schools (Indiana, Illinois, Michigan and Purdue).