Michigan graduate transfer Max Bielfeldt finished his visit to Indiana and hopes to have a decision later this week, he told Inside the Hall on Monday evening.
Bielfeldt, listed at 6-foot-8 and 245-pounds on Michigan’s 2014-2015 roster, is considering four schools: DePaul, Indiana, Iowa State and Nebraska.
He won an appeal earlier this month that would allow him to transfer to another Big Ten school.
“It was great,” Bielfeldt said of his visit to Bloomington. “Got to see the campus, meet the coaches and a couple guys. And got to see how I would fit in to the program with the development in my game.”
Although many IU players are away for break, Bielfeldt said he met Collin Hartman, Nick Zeisloft and Yogi Ferrell during his visit.
A native of Peoria, Illinois, Bielfeldt averaged 5.1 points and 3.6 rebounds in 14.5 minutes per game last season for the Wolverines and will be eligible immediately. He was granted his release from Michigan in late April after it was announced that Caris LeVert would return for his senior season.
As a result, we’ve reinstated our 2015 recruiting board and will keep it updated in the coming weeks and months as the Hoosier staff looks to fill the two open scholarships for the 2015-2016 campaign.
(Photo credit: Dustin Johnson, UMHoops.com)
Michigan graduate transfer Max Bielfeldt, who won an appeal that will allow him to transfer within the Big Ten, will visit Indiana on Sunday according to a report from Jon Rothstein.
Bielfeldt confirmed his plans to visit in a text message to Inside the Hall on Saturday afternoon.
The 6-foot-8, 245-pound forward averaged 5.1 points and 3.6 rebounds in 14.5 minutes per game last season for the Wolverines and will be eligible immediately. He was granted his release from Michigan in late April after it was announced that Caris LeVert would return for his senior season.
Indiana has two scholarships open for next season following the dismissals of Devin Davis and Hanner Mosquera-Perea.
Bielfeldt, a native of Peoria, Illinois, visited Nebraska earlier this week and is also considering DePaul and Iowa State, among others.
(Photo credit: UMHoops.com)
The message sent from IU announcing the dismissals of Devin Davis and Hanner Mosquera-Perea on Thursday was succinct. It needed no further explanation.
Enough is enough.
In less than 35 words, the program announced Davis and Mosquera-Perea failed to live up to their responsibilities. Effective immediately, they were no longer part of the team.
Both players were given second chances by Tom Crean to remain with the program after making mistakes that exhibited a lack of judgement. In Mosquera-Perea’s case, it was operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol on Feb. 14, 2014, which could have resulted – but fortunately did not – in a serious injury. And in the case of Davis, it was a disregard for Crean’s advice for 20 minutes earlier that night of what to steer clear of on Halloween night. In the early morning hours of Nov. 1, 2014, Davis was involved in a serious accident that also involved alcohol.
With their poor decisions this week, when Davis was cited for possession of marijuana in an on-campus housing building with Mosquera-Perea also present, both players showed that getting a second chance meant more to Crean than it did to them. And in the process, Davis and Mosquera-Perea lost their futures in Bloomington.
The decision to dismiss them had to be made. They had run out of chances to remain a part of the program.
Devin Davis and Hanner Mosquera-Perea have been dismissed from the Indiana men’s basketball program for “not living up to their responsibilities to the program,” IU announced late Thursday afternoon.
“Indiana men’s basketball announces that sophomore Devin Davis and senior Hanner Mosquera-Perea have been dismissed from the program effective immediately for not living up to their responsibilities to the program,” a release stated.
Davis was cited on Monday evening for possession of marijuana when officers arrived at a dormitory room on IU’s campus after receiving a complaint about the smell of burnt marijuana. Mosquera-Perea, who was not cited, was with Davis in that room.
Indiana announced an indefinite suspension for Davis on Tuesday and also said that it was reviewing Mosquera-Perea’s involvement in the incident.
Davis, a Warren Central product, missed the entire 2014-2015 season following his involvement in a car accident in the early hours of Nov. 1, 2014, after which he has battled a traumatic brain injury.
The two April evaluation periods have concluded, but it has still been an active week on the recruiting front for Indiana.
According to multiple reports, the Hoosiers have offered three new scholarships this week. The new offers include class of 2016 forward Tony Bradley of Bartow (Fla.), class of 2017 forward Justin Smith of Adlai Stevenson (Ill.) and class of 2017 guard Mitchell Ballock of Eudlow (Kan.).
Bradley (pictured) is ranked the No. 31 prospect in his class according to the 247Composite and Ballock is ranked No. 30 in those same rankings for the junior class.
According to his profile on 247Sports, Bradley has more than 20 scholarship offers. The 6-foot-10, 230-pound big man is averaging 12.6 points and 8.7 rebounds per game for E1T1 Elite in the Nike Elite Youth Basketball League (EYBL) this spring.
Ballock, a 6-foot-4 guard who plays AAU for KC Run GMC, is averaging 12.4 points and 6.8 rebounds this spring on the Under Armour Association circuit. Ballock also has offers from Kansas, Iowa State and Creighton, among others.
The 6-foot-7, 200-pound Smith is playing up a year on the Mac Irvin Fire Nike EYBL team and is averaging 9.9 points and 3.3 rebounds through 12 games.