The second of several annual college basketball preview magazines that will hit newsstands this fall – Athlon Sports college basketball preview – is now available.
Here are some notes on Indiana and the Big Ten at-large from the annual publication. (You can purchase the regional cover featuring Juwan Morgan here.)
· Three Big Ten teams are ranked in the Athlon Sports preseason top 25 and Indiana is not one of them. Michigan State is No. 10, Michigan is No. 24 and Nebraska is No. 25.
· Athlon projects that five Big Ten teams – Michigan State, Michigan, Nebraska, Indiana and Purdue – will make the 2019 NCAA tournament field.
· In Athlon’s ranking of the top 100 players in college basketball, IU freshman Romeo Langford is No. 16 and Juwan Morgan is No. 22. Other Big Ten players ranked include Carsen Edwards (No. 2), Ethan Happ (No. 4), Cassius Winston (No. 31), James Palmer Jr. (No. 35), Charles Matthews (No. 36), Nick Ward (No. 51), Tyler Cook (No. 62), Anthony Cowan (No. 64), Jordan Murphy (No. 66), Bruno Fernando (No. 83), Joshua Langford (No. 88) and Brad Davison (No. 95).
· On its list of the nation’s top 15 most impactful freshmen, Athlon Sports ranks Romeo Langford No. 2 behind Duke’s R.J. Barrett.
· Of Athlon’s 13 coaches on the hot seat, four are from Big Ten schools: Pat Chambers, Fran McCaffery, Tim Miles and Richard Pitino.
· Athlon predicts the order of finish in the Big Ten as follows: Michigan State, Michigan, Nebraska, Indiana, Purdue, Maryland, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Iowa, Penn State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Illinois and Rutgers.
· The Athlon preseason All-Big Ten teams: First team: Carsen Edwards, Juwan Morgan, James Palmer Jr., Ethan Happ and Cassius Winston; Second team: Tyler Cook, Anthony Cowan, Romeo Langford, Charles Matthews and Nick Ward; Third team: Brad Davison, Bruno Fernando, Joshua Langford, Jordan Murphy and Lamar Stevens.
· Carsen Edwards is Athlon’s pick for Big Ten player of the year and Romeo Langford is the pick for newcomer of the year.
— Alex Bozich (@insidethehall) August 27, 2018