Indiana picked to finish 7th in Big Ten by Lindy’s Sports, Trayce Jackson-Davis named preseason first team All-Big Ten
The Lindy’s Sports 2021-2022 preview magazine – an annual publication previewing the upcoming college basketball season – hit newsstands this week.
Here are some notes on Indiana and the Big Ten at large from the annual publication. (You can purchase the regional cover featuring Rob Phinisee here.)
· Seven Big Ten teams are ranked in Lindy’s preseason top 40, which is topped by preseason No. 1 Gonzaga. The Big Ten teams in the top 40 include Michigan (No. 3), Purdue (No. 5), Ohio State (No. 17), Illinois (No. 20), Michigan State (No. 22), Maryland (No. 27) and Indiana (No. 40).
· Seven Big Ten teams are projected to make the 2022 NCAA tournament: Michigan, Purdue, Ohio State, Illinois, Michigan State, Maryland and Indiana.
· Lindy’s ranked all 32 conferences in college basketball and has the Big Ten second behind the SEC.
· Two Big Ten players earned Lindy’s preseason All-American honors. Kofi Cockburn of Illinois is a second-team selection and Hunter Dickinson of Michigan is a third-team selection.
· Lindy’s ranked the top 150 players in college basketball and included the following Big Ten players: Cockburn (No. 4), Dickinson (No. 6), E.J. Liddell (No. 11), Trayce Jackson-Davis (No. 26), Caleb Houstan (No. 31), Trevion Williams (No. 34), Ron Harper Jr. (No. 49), DeVante’ Jones (No. 52), Jaden Ivey (No. 61), Andre Curbelo (No. 73), Tyson Walker (No. 96), Jordan Bohannon (No. 100), Max Christie (No. 101), Qudus Wahab (No. 104) and Eric Ayala (No. 123).
· Lindy’s picked Michigan to win the Big Ten followed by Purdue, Ohio State, Illinois, Michigan State, Maryland, Indiana, Wisconsin, Rutgers, Iowa, Northwestern, Penn State, Nebraska, and Minnesota.
· Cockburn is Lindy’s pick for preseason Big Ten player of the year and Houstan is the pick for newcomer of the year.
· Jackson-Davis is on the preseason All-Big Ten first team with Liddell, Williams, Cockburn and Dickinson. The second team is Ivey, Curbelo, Harper Jr., Jones and Houstan. The third team is Ayala, Christie, Bohannon, Walker and Wahab.