The Athlon Sports 2019-2020 preview magazine – an annual publication previewing the upcoming college basketball season – hit newsstands this week.
Here are some notes on Indiana and the Big Ten at-large from the annual publication. (You can purchase the regional cover featuring Devonte Green here.)
· Five Big Ten teams are ranked in Athlon’s preseason top 25, which is topped by preseason No. 1 Michigan State. Following the Spartans are Maryland (No. 7), Ohio State (No. 14), Purdue (No. 22) and Illinois (No. 23).
· Seven Big Ten teams are projected to make the 2020 NCAA tournament: Michigan State, Maryland, Ohio State, Purdue, Illinois, Michigan and Iowa.
· Michigan State’s Cassius Winston is a preseason first team All-American and Ayo Dosunmu is third team.
· Athlon ranked the top 100 players in college basketball and included the following Big Ten players: Winston (No. 1), Dosunmu (No. 11), Jalen Smith (No. 16), Lamar Stevens (No. 22), Anthony Cowan Jr. (No. 28), Xavier Tillman (No. 38), Aaron Henry (No. 43), Joe Wieskamp (No. 45), Zavier Simpson (No. 55), Kaleb Wesson (No. 58), Joshua Langford (No. 61), Matt Haarms (No. 84), Jon Teske (No. 97), Trevion Williams (No. 98).
· Pat Chambers is the only Big Ten coach listed as being on the hot seat.
· Athlon predicts the order of finish in the Big Ten as follows: Michigan State, Maryland, Ohio State, Purdue, Illinois, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana, Penn State, Rutgers, Minnesota, Northwestern and Nebraska.
· The Athlon preseason All-Big Ten teams: First team: Winston, Cowan Jr., Stevens, Smith, Dosunmu; Second team: Henry, Simpson, Wieskamp, Tillman, Wesson; Third team: Giorgi Bezhanishvili, Nojel Eastern, Langford, Teske, Williams.
· Trayce Jackson-Davis is Athlon’s pick for Big Ten newcomer of the year. Indiana is projected as an NIT team.
Athlon Sports college basketball preview magazine regional cover featuring Indiana’s Devonte Green. Will be available Tuesday, September 3: pic.twitter.com/S7HaN7DL73
— Inside the Hall (@insidethehall) August 27, 2019