In this week’s show, Morris is joined by Bill Murphy, author of Branch: The Branch McCracken Story to discuss Indiana’s 1940 and 1953 national championship teams.
Among the topics discussed:
· What Branch McCracken was like as a player and a coach
· What James Naismith’s son said to Branch after the 1940 championship game
· What changed in basketball between the 1940 and 1953 seasons
· Why Branch McCracken was a pioneer in the idea of playing fast with his “Hurryin’ Hoosiers”
· The time Purdue gave up their NCAA Tournament spot to Indiana … or did they?
· Why Don Schlundt may be the greatest IU basketball player of all-time
· The legend of Mr. Inside (Schlundt) and Mr. Outside (Bobby “Slick” Leonard)
· Why the 1954 team wasn’t able to repeat as champions
· Why the 1960 Hoosiers might have been Branch’s best team of all
And much more … including the time Branch’s wife took the team to see Gone With the Wind the day of a game, against Branch’s orders.
As always, feel free to drop the show a note at [email protected].