With the spring signing period nearing its conclusion and the NBA draft combine getting underway today in Chicago, it’s time for an updated look at who is coming and going in the Big Ten for the 2018-2019 season.
(Editor’s note: This is the second post in a series that will be updated multiple times in the coming months. In most instances, only scholarship players are included. If we missed anything, please email corrections to [email protected] or post in the comments.)
· Returning: Trent Frazier, Kipper Nichols, Matic Vesel, Greg Eboigbodin, Da’Monte Williams, Aaron Jordan
· NBA draft early entrant with agent: Leron Black
· Arriving: Ayo Dosunmu (247Composite top 100), Tevian Jones, Samba Kane, Alan Griffin, Giorgi Bezhanishvili, Andres Feliz
· Departing: Michael Finke (graduate transfer), Mark Alstork, Mark Smith (transfer), Te’Jon Lucas (transfer)
Notes: Nothing has changed with the Illini since our update one month ago. Year two for Brad Underwood figures to have its share of challenges as the Illini must replace several contributors, including Black.
· Returning: Devonte Green, Zach McRoberts, De’Ron Davis, Al Durham Jr., Race Thompson, Clifton Moore, Justin Smith
· NBA draft early entrant without agent: Juwan Morgan
· Arriving: Romeo Langford, (247Composite top 100), Jerome Hunter (247Composite top 100), Robert Phinisee, Damezi Anderson, Jake Forrester, Evan Fitzner (graduate transfer from St. Mary’s)
· Departing: Robert Johnson, Josh Newkirk, Freddie McSwain, Tim Priller, Collin Hartman
Notes: Indiana added Romeo Langford, the top rated incoming Big Ten recruit, on April 30 as well as Fitzner, a graduate transfer from St. Mary’s. Now the Hoosiers will wait on a decision from Morgan, who has until May 30 to decide if he’s coming back to school or staying in the draft.
· Returning: Maishe Dailey, Jack Nunge, Jordan Bohannon, Ryan Kriener, Connor McCaffery, Cordell Pemsl, Nicholas Baer, Luka Garza
· NBA draft early entrant without agent: Tyler Cook, Isaiah Moss
· Arriving: Joe Wieskamp (247Composite top 100), C.J. Fredrick
· Departing: Brady Ellingson (graduate transfer), Ahmad Wagner (pursuing football), Dom Uhl
Notes: The Hawkeyes have two players who are in the NBA draft early entrant pool – Cook and Moss – who have until May 30 to decide if they will return to school.
· Returning: Ivan Bender, Anthony Cowan Jr., Darryl Morsell, Joshua Tomaic
· NBA draft early entrant with agent: Justin Jackson
· NBA draft early entrant without agent: Bruno Fernando, Kevin Huerter
· Arriving: Jalen Smith (247Composite top 100), Aaron Wiggins (247Composite top 100, Eric Ayala (247Composite top 100), Serrel Smith, Schnider Herard (transfer from Mississippi State becomes eligible second semester), Trace Ramsey
· Departing: Michal Cekovsky, Jared Nickens, Sean Obi, Dion Wiley (graduate transfer)
Notes: The Terps have two players at this week’s draft combine in Fernando and Huerter. Since our last update, the Terps added Ramsey, a 3-star forward, to their recruiting class.
· Returning: Zavier Simpson, Eli Brooks, Isaiah Livers, Jon Teske, Austin Davis, Jordan Poole
· NBA draft early entrant with agent: Moritz Wagner
· NBA draft early entrant without agent: Charles Matthews
· Arriving: Brandon Johns (247Composite top 100), Ignas Brazdeikis (247Composite top 100), David DeJulius, Colin Castleon, Adrien Nunez
· Departing: Muhammad-Ali Abdur-Rahkman, Ibi Watson (transfer), Duncan Robinson, Jaaron Simmons
Notes: Matthews is the major decision still outstanding for the Wolverines and he did not receive an invite to the NBA draft combine. Assuming he returns, Michigan should be a top 25 team once again.
· Returning: Joshua Langford, Matt McQuaid, Cassius Winston, Xavier Tillman, Kyle Ahrens, Kenny Goins
· NBA draft early entrants with agent: Jaren Jackson Jr., Miles Bridges
· NBA draft early entrant without agent: Nick Ward
· Arriving: Marcus Bingham Jr. (247Composite top 100), Foster Loyer (247Composite top 100), Gabe Brown (247Composite top 100), Aaron Henry, Thomas Kithier
· Departing: Gavin Schilling, Ben Carter, Lourawls Nairn
Notes: The Ward decision looms large for Michigan State, who has until May 30 to announce his intentions for next season. Ward did not receive a combine invite.
· Returning: Amir Coffey, Eric Curry, Jordan Murphy, Dupree McBrayer, Matz Stockman, Isaiah Washington, Michael Hurt
· Arriving: Daniel Oturu (247Composite top 100), Jarvis Omersa, Gabe Kalscheur, Brock Stull (graduate transfer from Milwaukee), Marcus Carr (transfer from Pittsburgh, must sit out), Payton Willis (transfer from Vanderbilt, must sit out)
· Departing: Reggie Lynch, Nate Mason, Gaston Diedhiou, Bakary Konate, Davonte Fitzgerald (graduate transfer), Jamir Harris (transfer)
Notes: The Gophers added three transfers since our last update, but only one will be eligible next season (Stull). The Gophers will be an interesting team to forecast next season giving their significant roster changes.
· Returning: Glynn Watson, Isaiah Roby, Thomas Allen, Nana Akenten, Jordy Tshimanga, Thorir Thorbjarnarson
· NBA draft early entrant without agent: Isaac Copeland, James Palmer Jr.
· Arriving: Karrington Davis, Brady Heiman, Amir Harris, Dachon Burke (transfer from Robert Morris, must sit out)
· Departing: Jack McVeigh (pursuing pro career overseas), Duby Okeke, Evan Taylor, Anton Gill
Notes: Copeland and Palmer Jr. entered the NBA draft, but are both expected to return. Since our last update, the Huskers added Harris, a 3-star guard and Burke, a transfer from Robert Morris who will sit out the 2018-19 season. Tim Miles recently had his contract extended through the 2020-21 season.
· Returning: Vic Law, Dererk Pardon, Anthony Gaines, A.J. Turner, Jordan Ash, Barret Benson, Aaron Falzon
· Arriving: Ryan Taylor (graduate transfer from Evansville), Pete Nance (247Composite top 100), Miller Kopp, Jordan Lathon, Ryan Young
· Departing: Bryant McIntosh, Scottie Lindsey, Gavin Skelly, Isiah Brown (transfer), Rapolas Ivanasukas (transfer)
Notes: The Wildcats will welcome a top 30 recruiting class, but have a lot of production to replace as McIntosh and Lindsey depart.
· Returning: Andre Wesson, Kaleb Wesson, CJ Jackson, Micah Potter, Musa Jallow, Kyle Young
· NBA draft early entrant with agent: Keita Bates-Diop
· Arriving: Luther Muhammad (247Composite top 100), Jaedon LeDee (247Composite top 100), Duane Washington, Justin Ahrens, C.J. Walker (transfer from Florida State, must sit out), Keyshawn Woods (graduate transfer from Wake Forest)
· Departing: Andrew Dakich, Jae’Sean Tate, Kam Williams
Notes: The Buckeyes scored a major coup when Woods, who averaged 11.9 points last season for the Demon Deacons, committed on April 24. He will be eligible next season.
· Returning: Lamar Stevens, Mike Watkins, John Harrar, Satchel Pierce, Josh Reaves, Jamari Wheeler, Trent Buttrick, Deivis Zemgulis
· NBA draft early entrant with agent: Tony Carr
· Arriving: Myles Dread, Rasir Bolton, Daniil Kasatkin, Izaiah Brockington (transfer from St. Bonaventure, must sit out), Myreon Jones
· Departing: Shep Garner, Julian Moore, Nazeer Bostick (transfer)
Notes: Penn State added Jones, a former Memphis commit, earlier this month. Pat Chambers recently had his contract extended through the 2021-22 season following an NIT championship this past season for the Nittany Lions.
· Returning: Ryan Cline, Aaron Wheeler, Sasha Stefanovic, Matt Haarms, Grady Eifert
· NBA draft early entrant without agent: Carsen Edwards, Nojel Eastern
· Arriving: Trevion Williams, Eric Hunter, Emmanuel Dowuona, Evan Boudreaux (graduate transfer from Dartmouth)
· Departing: Isaac Haas, Vincent Edwards, P.J. Thompson, Dakota Mathias
Notes: The Boilermakers lose four starters and still have the NBA decisions of Edwards and Eastern outstanding. The addition of Boudreaux should be helpful, but Purdue will be a much different team next winter.
· Returning: Geo Baker, Shaquille Doorson, Eugene Omoruyi, Myles Johnson, Mamadou Doucoure, Issa Thiam, Souf Mensah
· NBA draft early entrant with agent: Corey Sanders
· Arriving: Montez Mathis, Shaq Carter, Ronald Harper, Caleb McConnell, Jacob Young (transfer from Texas, must sit out)
· Departing: Candido Sa, Mike Williams, Deshawn Freeman, Matt Bullock (transfer)
Notes: The Scarlet Knights added a 3-star guard in McConnell since our last update and also added Young, who averaged 6.2 points last season at Texas. The 6-foot-1 Young must sit out next season.
· Returning: Brad Davison, D’Mitrik Trice, Khalil Iverson, Brevin Pritzl, Aleem Ford, Nate Reuvers, Kobe King, Trevor Anderson, Charlie Thomas, Alex Illikainen
· NBA draft early entrant without agent: Ethan Happ
· Arriving: Taylor Currie, Tai Strickland, Joe Hedstrom
· Departing: Andy Van Vliet (transfer)
Notes: Assuming Happ returns after testing the NBA draft waters, the Badgers should be back in the thick of things in the Big Ten.
Filed to: 2018-19 Big Ten preview