An early look at who is coming and going in the Big Ten next season
With the spring signing period underway and the deadline to declare for the 2018 NBA draft rapidly approaching, it’s time for our first look at who’s coming and going in the Big Ten for the 2018-2019 season.
(Editor’s note: This is the first post in a series that will be updated multiple times in the coming months. In most instances, only scholarship players are included. If we missed anything, please email corrections to [email protected] or post in the comments.)
· Returning: Trent Frazier, Kipper Nichols, Matic Vesel, Greg Eboigbodin, Da’Monte Williams, Aaron Jordan
· NBA draft early entrant with agent: Leron Black
· Arriving: Ayo Dosunmu (247Composite top 100), Tevian Jones, Samba Kane, Alan Griffin, Giorgi Bezhanishvili, Andres Feliz
· Departing: Michael Finke (graduate transfer), Mark Alstork, Mark Smith (transfer), Te’Jon Lucas (transfer)
Notes: After a rough first season for Brad Underwood, the Illini roster has undergone a makeover. Black is leaving with a year of eligibility left and three other players transferred.
· Returning: Devonte Green, Zach McRoberts, De’Ron Davis, Al Durham Jr., Race Thompson, Clifton Moore, Justin Smith
· NBA draft early entrant without agent: Juwan Morgan
· Arriving: Jerome Hunter (247Composite top 100), Robert Phinisee, Damezi Anderson, Jake Forrester
· Departing: Robert Johnson, Josh Newkirk, Freddie McSwain, Tim Priller, Collin Hartman
Notes: The wildcard for Indiana’s roster next season is Romeo Langford, who will announce his college decision in two weeks. The Hoosiers are one of three finalists for Langford along with Kansas and Vanderbilt.
· Returning: Maishe Dailey, Jack Nunge, Isaiah Moss, Jordan Bohannon, Ryan Kriener, Connor McCaffery, Cordell Pemsl, Nicholas Baer, Luka Garza
· NBA draft early entrant without agent: Tyler Cook
· Arriving: Joe Wieskamp (247Composite top 100), C.J. Fredrick
· Departing: Brady Ellingson (graduate transfer), Ahmad Wagner (pursuing football), Dom Uhl
Notes: Moss briefly tested the NBA draft process, but is returning to Iowa City. Cook still has his name still entered into the draft and his departure would be a huge blow to the Hawkeyes. As of right now, Iowa has one open scholarship for next season, assuming Cook comes back to school.
· Returning: Ivan Bender, Anthony Cowan Jr., Kevin Huerter, Darryl Morsell, Joshua Tomaic
· NBA draft early entrant with agent: Justin Jackson
· NBA draft early entrant without agent: Bruno Fernando
· Arriving: Jalen Smith (247Composite top 100), Aaron Wiggins (247Composite top 100, Eric Ayala (247Composite top 100), Serrel Smith, Schnider Herard (transfer from Mississippi State becomes eligible second semester)
· Departing: Michal Cekovsky, Jared Nickens, Sean Obi, Dion Wiley (graduate transfer)
Notes: The Fernando decision looms large as the Terps would get a huge boost if he returns to College Park for his sophomore season. With two scholarships currently available, look for Maryland to be active on the graduate transfer market.
· Returning: Zavier Simpson, Charles Matthews, Eli Brooks, Isaiah Livers, Jon Teske, Austin Davis, Jordan Poole
· NBA draft early entrant with agent: Moritz Wagner
· Arriving: Brandon Johns (247Composite top 100), Ignas Brazdeikis (247Composite top 100), David DeJulius, Colin Castleon, Adrien Nunez
· Departing: Muhammad-Ali Abdur-Rahkman, Ibi Watson (transfer), Duncan Robinson, Jaaron Simmons
Notes: Matthews is a possibility to leave school early, but has yet to announce his intentions. Regardless of his decision, Michigan loses a ton of production from its national runner-up team.
· Returning: Joshua Langford, Matt McQuaid, Cassius Winston, Xavier Tillman, Kyle Ahrens, Kenny Goins
· NBA draft early entrants with agent: Jaren Jackson Jr., Miles Bridges
· NBA draft early entrant without agent: Nick Ward
· Arriving: Marcus Bingham Jr. (247Composite top 100), Foster Loyer (247Composite top 100), Gabe Brown (247Composite top 100), Aaron Henry, Thomas Kithier
· Departing: Gavin Schilling, Ben Carter, Lourawls Nairn
Notes: The Ward decision looms large for Michigan State as the Spartans could be very good again next season if he returns. If he leaves, the Spartans will be very young up front.
· Returning: Amir Coffey, Eric Curry, Jordan Murphy, Dupree McBrayer, Matz Stockman, Isaiah Washington, Michael Hurt
· Arriving: Daniel Oturu (247Composite top 100), Jarvis Omersa, Gabe Kalscheur
· Departing: Reggie Lynch, Nate Mason, Gaston Diedhiou, Bakary Konate, Davonte Fitzgerald (graduate transfer), Jamir Harris (transfer)
Notes: The Gophers have three open scholarships after Fitzgerald and Harris both announced their intentions to transfer. The key for Minnesota next season is getting Coffey healthy.
· Returning: Glynn Watson, Isaiah Roby, Thomas Allen, Nana Akenten, Jordy Tshimanga, Thorir Thorbjarnarson
· NBA draft early entrant without agent: Isaac Copeland, James Palmer Jr.
· Arriving: Karrington Davis, Brady Heiman
· Departing: Jack McVeigh (pursuing pro career overseas), Duby Okeke, Evan Taylor, Anton Gill
Notes: The Huskers lost assistant coach Kenya Hunter to UConn and as a result, lost 3-star signee Xavier Johnson. Copeland and Palmer Jr. have their names in the NBA draft, but are expected to return to school.
· Returning: Vic Law, Dererk Pardon, Anthony Gaines, A.J. Turner, Jordan Ash, Barret Benson, Aaron Falzon
· Arriving: Ryan Taylor (graduate transfer from Evansville), Pete Nance (247Composite top 100), Miller Kopp, Jordan Lathon, Ryan Young
· Departing: Bryant McIntosh, Scottie Lindsey, Gavin Skelly, Isiah Brown (transfer), Rapolas Ivanasukas (transfer)
Notes: Replacing McIntosh and Lindsey will be tough for the Wildcats after a disappointing 2017-2018 campaign. Taylor should help fill some of the scoring void.
· Returning: Andre Wesson, Kaleb Wesson, CJ Jackson, Micah Potter, Musa Jallow, Kyle Young
· NBA draft early entrant with agent: Keita Bates-Diop
· Arriving: Luther Muhammad (247Composite top 100), Jaedon LeDee (247Composite top 100), Duane Washington, Justin Ahrens, C.J. Walker (transfer from Florida State, must sit out)
· Departing: Andrew Dakich, Jae’Sean Tate, Kam Williams
Notes: On paper, the Buckeyes look like they’ll take a step backward. The league’s player of the year, Bates-Diop, is gone along with two other starters in Tate and Williams. Will Chris Holtmann have another trick up his sleeve in his second season in Columbus?
· Returning: Lamar Stevens, Mike Watkins, John Harrar, Satchel Pierce, Josh Reaves, Jamari Wheeler, Trent Buttrick, Deivis Zemgulis
· NBA draft early entrant with agent: Tony Carr
· Arriving: Myles Dread, Rasir Bolton, Daniil Kasatkin
· Departing: Shep Garner, Julian Moore, Nazeer Bostick (transfer)
Notes: The Nittany Lions could have been a Big Ten contender with Carr, but he opted for the NBA after a run to the NIT championship. Is there pressure on Pat Chambers to reach the NCAA tournament in season eight in State College?
· Returning: Ryan Cline, Aaron Wheeler, Sasha Stefanovic, Matt Haarms, Grady Eifert
· NBA draft early entrant without agent: Carsen Edwards, Nojel Eastern
· Arriving: Trevion Williams, Eric Hunter, Emmanuel Dowuona, Evan Boudreaux (graduate transfer from Dartmouth)
· Departing: Isaac Haas, Vincent Edwards, P.J. Thompson, Dakota Mathias
Notes: The Boilermakers lose four starters and still have the NBA decision of Edwards outstanding. The addition of Boudreaux should be helpful, but Purdue will be a much different team next winter.
· Returning: Geo Baker, Shaquille Doorson, Eugene Omoruyi, Myles Johnson, Mamadou Doucoure, Issa Thiam, Souf Mensah
· NBA draft early entrant with agent: Corey Sanders
· Arriving: Montez Mathis, Shaq Carter, Ronald Harper
· Departing: Candido Sa, Mike Williams, Deshawn Freeman, Matt Bullock (transfer)
Notes: Steve Pikiell is still trying to get Rutgers out of the Big Ten cellar and next season will bring its share of challenges after the loss of Sanders.
· Returning: Brad Davison, D’Mitrik Trice, Khalil Iverson, Brevin Pritzl, Aleem Ford, Nate Reuvers, Kobe King, Trevor Anderson, Charlie Thomas, Alex Illikainen
· NBA draft early entrant without agent: Ethan Happ
· Arriving: Taylor Currie, Tai Strickland, Joe Hedstrom
· Departing: Andy Van Vliet (transfer)
Notes: Assuming Happ returns after testing the NBA draft waters, the Badgers should be back in the thick of things in the Big Ten.
Filed to: 2018-19 Big Ten preview