With the start of the fall semester underway on several Big Ten campuses, it’s time for our final look at who’s coming and going in the Big Ten for the 2017-2018 season.
(Editor’s note: In most instances, only scholarship players are included.)
· Returning: Aaron Jordan, Leron Black, Michael Finke, Alex Austin, Te’Jon Lucas, Kipper Nichols
· Arriving: Mark Smith (247Composite top 100), Trent Frazier, DaMonte Williams, Mark Alstork (Wright State graduate transfer, eligible immediately), Matic Vesel
· Departing: Malcolm Hill, Maverick Morgan, Jaylon Tate, Mike Thorne, Tracy Abrams, D.J. Williams (transfer), Jalen Coleman-Lands (transfer)
Notes: In early June, the Illini added a fifth recruit for 2017 in Vesel, a 6-foot-9 forward from Slovenia.
· Returning: Juwan Morgan, Robert Johnson, Collin Hartman, Josh Newkirk, De’Ron Davis, Devonte Green, Curtis Jones, Zach McRoberts (walk-on), Freddie McSwain, Tim Priller
· NBA draft early entrants: OG Anunoby, James Blackmon Jr., Thomas Bryant
· Arriving: Justin Smith (247Composite top 100), Al Durham Jr., Clifton Moore, Race Thompson (will redshirt)
· Departing: Grant Gelon (transfer)
Notes: The Hoosiers added Thompson, who will redshirt, in July.
· Returning: Ahmad Wagner, Nicholas Baer, Dom Uhl, Brady Ellingson, Christian Williams, Tyler Cook, Cordell Pemsl, Ryan Kriener, Jordan Bohannon, Maishe Dailey, Isaiah Moss
· Arriving: Connor McCaffery (will redshirt, no scholarship), Luka Garza, Jack Nunge
· Departing: Peter Jok, Dale Jones (transfer)
Notes: The Hawkeyes return plenty of talent for next season, headlined by Cook and Bohannon.
· Returning: Jared Nickens, Justin Jackson, Dion Wiley, Michal Cekovsky, Anthony Cowan, Kevin Huerter, Ivan Bender, Joshua Tomaic
· NBA draft early entrant: Melo Trimble
· Arriving: Bruno Fernando (247Composite top 100), Darryl Morsell (247Composite top 100), Sean Obi (graduate transfer from Duke)
· Departing: Damonte Dodd, Jaylen Brantley (transfer), L.G. Gill, Micah Thomas (transfer)
Notes: Will Mark Turgeon make the NCAA tournament without Trimble? It’s a question worth asking after Trimble completely changed the direction of Turgeon’s tenure over the last three seasons.
· Returning: Muhammad-Ali Abdur-Rahkman, Moritz Wagner, Duncan Robinson, Xavier Simpson, Austin Davis, Jon Teske, Ibi Watson, Charles Matthews (Kentucky transfer becomes eligible)
· NBA draft early entrant: D.J. Wilson
· Arriving: Jordan Poole (247Composite top 100), Isaiah Livers, Eli Brooks, Jaaron Simmons (graduate transfer from Ohio)
· Departing: Derrick Walton, Zak Irvin, Mark Donnal (transfer)
Notes: The Wolverines have upside, but also plenty of question marks. Chief among them: Can Simmons capably take over for Walton?
· Returning: Miles Bridges, Cassius Winston, Lourawls Nairn, Nick Ward, Josh Langford, Gavin Schilling, Kenny Goins, Matt McQuaid, Kyle Ahrens, Ben Carter
· Arriving: Jaren Jackson (247Composite top 100), Xavier Tillman (247Composite top 100), Braden Burke (transfer from Robert Morris, will sit out, preferred walk-on)
· Departing: Eron Harris, Alvin Ellis, Matt Van Dyk
Notes: The Spartans are the clear cut favorite to win the Big Ten because of the return of Bridges.
· Returning: Nate Mason, Amir Coffey, Jordan Murphy, Dupree McBrayer, Bakary Konate, Gaston Diedhiou, Davonte Fitzgerald, Reggie Lynch, Eric Curry, Michael Hurt
· Arriving: Isaiah Washington (247Composite top 100), Jamir Harris, Matz Stockman (transfer from Louisville, will sit out)
· Departing: Akeem Springs, Ahmad Gilbert (transfer)
Notes: The Gophers filled their 13th scholarship with Stockman, who will sit out next season and become eligible for the 2018-2019 season.
· Returning: Glynn Watson, Jack McVeigh, Anton Gill, Malcolm Laws, Isaiah Roby, Jordy Tshimanga, Evan Taylor, James Palmer (Miami transfer becomes eligible)
· Arriving: Isaac Copeland (Georgetown transfer, becomes eligible in December), Nana Akenten, Thomas Allen (247Composite top 100), Duby Okeke (graduate transfer from Winthrop), Thorir Thorbjarnarson
· Departing: Tai Webster, Ed Morrow (transfer), Michael Jacobson (transfer), Jeriah Horne (transfer), Nick Fuller (transfer)
Notes: In early August, the Huskers added Thorbjarnarson, who played in the top professional league in Iceland for the past three seasons.
· Returning: Bryant McIntosh, Scottie Lindsey, Vic Law, Dererk Pardon, Gavin Skelly, Jordan Ash, Aaron Falzon, Rapolas Ivanauskas, Barret Benson, Isiah Brown
· Arriving: A.J. Turner (transfer from Boston College, will sit out), Anthony Gaines
· Departing: Sanjay Lumpkin, Nathan Taphorn
Notes: The Wildcats return most of the first NCAA tournament team in program history. Will the Wildcats dance again?
· Returning: Keita Bates-Diop, Jae’Sean Tate, Kam Williams, Micah Potter, Andre Wesson, C.J. Jackson
· NBA draft early entrant: Trevor Thompson
· Arriving: Caleb Wesson (247Sports Composite top 100), Kyle Young (247Composite top 100), Musa Jallow, Andrew Dakich (graduate transfer from Michigan)
· Departing: Marc Loving, David Bell (transfer), JaQuan Lyle (transfer), Derek Funderburk (dismissed from program)
Notes: The roster in Columbus has been in flux this summer with the hiring of Chris Holtmann. Funderburk was dismissed, Braxton Beverly was released from his letter of intent, Young flipped from Butler to the Buckeyes, Jallow reclassified into 2017 and signed with OSU and Dakich transferred from Michigan.
· Returning: Shep Garner, Josh Reaves, Julian Moore, Deividas Zemgulis, Mike Watkins, Tony Carr, Lamar Stevens, Nazeer Bostick, Joe Hampton, Satchel Pierce (Virginia Tech transfer becomes eligible)
· Arriving: Trent Buttrick, Jamari Wheeler, John Harrar
· Departing: Terrence Samuel (transfer), Isaiah Washington (transfer), Payton Banks (transfer)
Notes: To make room for three incoming players, Penn State had three players transfer this offseason.
· Returning: Vincent Edwards, Isaac Haas, Dakota Mathias, Ryan Cline, P.J. Thompson, Jacquil Taylor, Carsen Edwards
· NBA draft early entrant: Caleb Swanigan
· Arriving: Matt Haarms, Nojel Eastern (247Composite top 100), Eden Ewing, Aaron Wheeler, Sasha Stefanovic
· Departing: Spike Albrecht
Notes: The Boilermakers could again challenge for the Big Ten title, but have the daunting task of replacing the league’s player of the year in Swanigan.
· Returning: Corey Sanders, Mike Williams, Deshawn Freeman, Shaquille Dorson, Issa Thiam, Matt Bullock, Candido Sa, Eugene Omoruyi
· Arriving: Souf Mensah, Geo Baker, Peter Kiss (transfer from Quinnipiac, will sit out), Mamadou Doucoure, Myles Johnson
· Departing: Nigel Johnson (transfer), C.J. Gettys, Ibrahima Diallo (transfer), Jonathan Laurent (transfer)
Notes: The Scarlet Knights received a roster boost recently when it was announced that Doucoure, originally a member of the 2018, is enrolled and hopes to play next season. Before reclassifying, the 6-foot-9 big man was ranked the No. 145 player nationally according to the 247Composite.
· Returning: Ethan Happ, Brevin Pritzl, Charlie Thomas, Alex Illikainen, Khalil Iverson, Andy Van Vliet, Aleem Ford, D’Mitrik Trice
· Arriving: Nathan Reuvers (247Composite top 100), Brad Davison, Kobe King, Trevor Anderson (transfer from Green Bay, will sit out)
· Departing: Nigel Hayes, Bronson Koenig, Zak Showalter, Vitto Brown, Jordan Hill (transfer)
Outlook: Happ should contend for Big Ten player of the year, but Hayes and Koenig are huge losses.
Filed to: 2017-2018 Big Ten preview