Sporting News picks Indiana to finish 10th in Big Ten
Labor Day is in the rearview mirror, which means that college basketball preview magazines have started to hit newsstands.
The first one out this season is The Sporting News college basketball yearbook, which is not bullish on Indiana for the 2014-2015 season.
While Yogi Ferrell is featured on the regional cover being sold in Indiana and Ohio, the yearbook picks the Hoosiers to finish just 10th in the Big Ten.
Ferrell is on the 10-man Big Ten all-conference team and James Blackmon Jr. is on the five-man all-newcomer team. Assembly Hall is recognized as the second-best venue in the conference behind the Breslin Center.
Some more Big Ten and IU-centric notes from the yearbook after the jump.
· Four Big Ten teams made the preseason top 25: Wisconsin (3), Michigan State (18), Ohio State (21), Nebraska (22).
· Michigan State’s Branden Dawson is on the five-man preseason All-America team along with Louisville’s Montrezl Harrell, Kentucky’s Aaron Harrison, Duke’s Jahlil Okafor and North Carolina’s Marcus Paige.
· Wisconsin’s Sam Dekker is on the second team All-America along with Nebraska’s Terran Petteway while Frank Kaminsky is third team All-America.
· Joining Ferrell on the all-conference team are Michigan’s Caris LeVert, Kaminsky, Petteway, Dekker, Purdue’s A.J. Hammons, Maryland’s Dez Wells, Dawson, Penn State’s D.J. Newbill and Ohio State’s Sam Thompson.
· Joining Blackmon Jr. on the all-newcomer team are Ohio State’s D’Angelo Russell and Anthony Lee, Maryland’s Romelo Trimble and Michigan’s Kameron Chatman.
· The complete predicted Big Ten order of finish: Wisconsin, Michigan State, Ohio State, Nebraska, Michigan, Iowa, Maryland, Illinois, Minnesota, Indiana, Penn State, Purdue, Northwestern, Rutgers.
· Two of IU’s non-conference opponents are ranked in the preseason top 25: Louisville (7) and SMU (25).
Filed to: 2014-2015 season preview