Indiana guard Verdell Jones, who missed the Hoosiers’ past two games after suffering a bruised shoulder in a loss to Michigan on Feb. 1, will return on Wednesday evening when the Hoosiers host Northwestern at Assembly Hall.
“He’ll play. This has been a good break for him to get back,” Indiana coach Tom Crean said on Tuesday evening. “He hasn’t had a full week of full go, but at the same time, he’s back and we fully expect to play him tomorrow night.”
The 6-foot-5 senior from Champaign, Ill. is averaging 7.8 points and 3.5 assists per game and has started all 23 games he’s appeared in this season.
Crean did not specify whether Jones would return to the starting lineup, but said the senior was playing at a high level in the three games prior to his injury.
“The three games before he got hurt, take the Michigan game out, which nobody played well in the first half, he’d really been playing well, and I thought he was doing some excellent things on both sides, so it’s gonna be good to have him back in it,” he said. “But how that plays out in a game, we’ll see.”
Around the Hall is recommended reading from the Inside the Hall. So go ahead, get your read on.
+ Dustin Dopirak of The Herald-Times recaps Tom Crean’s comments on his weekly radio show which included discussion of Indiana’s philosophy on defending ball-screens.
+ Sean Morrison of Inside Indiana profiles Ron Patterson and his growth into one of the toughest players in the class of 2012.
+ Indiana continues to improve from an efficiency margin standpoint and the Hoosiers are No. 5 in ESPN.com’s latest Big Ten power rankings.
+ Cody Zeller picked up his sixth freshman of the week award from the Big Ten.
+ Crean addressed the media on the Big Ten’s weekly coaches teleconference.
+ Indiana checks-in at No. 6 in the first class of 2013 team rankings on Rivals.com.
+ A few days old, but Kyle Neddenriep of The Indianapolis Star breaks down the race for Mr. Basketball.
+ One-time Indiana recruiting target Wannah Bail committed to Texas Tech.
+ Former Illinois star and ESPN analyst Stephen Bardo says Bruce Weber is on the hot seat and is being evaluated with a fine-tooth comb.
Coach Tom Crean met with the media following Indiana’s 84-71 win over Illinois on Thursday at Assembly Hall. Watch the press conference in high-definition quality video in the embedded media player below:
Quotes after the jump.
Coach Tom Crean and junior guard Jordan Hulls met with the media on Wednesday afternoon to preview Thursday’s game at Assembly Hall with Illinois. Watch both press conferences in high-definition quality video in the embedded media players below:
Quotes are available after the jump.
Around the Hall is recommended reading from the Inside the Hall crew. So go ahead, get your read on.
· 2014 Ft. Wayne Luers guard and Indiana commitment James Blackmon Jr. is out for the season after suffering a torn ACL in his right knee over the weekend in a loss to Indianapolis Tech. Blackmon Jr. was averaging 25.1 points per game.
· UMHoops looks at Big Ten efficiency margins in their weekly roundup from around the conference.
· John Stovall of ESPN.com delivers high praise (premium link) for Trey Lyles after Saturday’s recruit classic at Lawrence Central.
· Scout.com updated their 2012 class rankings and the Hoosiers come in at No. 3 nationally.
· The Big Ten Network has audio from Tom Crean’s weekly appearance on the conference’s coaches teleconference.
· Don Fischer joined Dan Dakich for his weekly appearance and talked about the Hoosiers’ big win in West Lafayette.
Coach Tom Crean met with the media following Indiana’s 78-61 win over Purdue at Mackey Arena on Saturday night. Watch the press conference in high-definition quality video in the embedded media player below: