Hoosier Hysteria, Indiana’s annual opening practice that officially tips off the season, has a date for this fall.
At Saturday’s Indiana-Indiana State football game at Memorial Stadium, it was announced that the 2014 version of Hysteria will be held on Saturday, Oct. 25.
The first date for NCAA Division I schools to begin practice this season is Friday, Oct. 3, which is six weeks before teams can begin their seasons on Friday, Nov. 14.
Indiana will not have a home football game on the weekend of Hoosier Hysteria as the Hoosiers have a bye week.
On Friday, Indiana announced that it will open the 2014-2015 basketball season at home on Friday, Nov. 14 against Mississippi Valley State.
Further details on Hoosier Hysteria will be released at a later date.
The 2013-2014 season got underway with Indiana’s annual tip-off event – Hoosier Hysteria – Friday night in Assembly Hall. Here’s a look at five takeaways from Indiana’s first public practice:
· The youth must come through: Yes, Will Sheehey and Yogi Ferrell both return and played starter’s minutes a season ago. And Evan Gordon arrives as a graduate senior with plenty of experience after stops at Liberty and Arizona State. But the reality beyond that is this: Indiana is very thin on experience. The Hoosiers have six freshman and three of their returning sophomores have played limited minutes. Peter Jurkin and Hanner Mosquera-Perea barely played a season ago and Jeremy Hollowell, who will be counted to shoulder a much bigger role, only averaged 9.7 minutes per game as a freshman. There will be bumps in the road early for this team, but the young talent is there to mold into a tough out come March.
· Injuries aren’t a major concern, yet: It wasn’t a surprise that Troy Williams and Luke Fischer were held out of Hoosier Hysteria. Williams is nearly back from a right hand injury and Fischer, who’s had tough luck all offseason in terms of staying healthy, is battling a shoulder injury that will keep him out a few more weeks. What we didn’t know is that Noah Vonleh is out with a mild ankle injury, which kept him out of the scrimmage portion of last night’s festivities. And then late in the scrimmage, Stanford Robinson went down with what Tom Crean described as a knee bruise. None of these injuries figure to linger on long enough to force anyone to miss significant time, but Indiana needs to get all four players back sooner rather than later with the season opener just over four weeks away.
Check out 35 photos by Jamie Owens from Friday’s Hoosier Hysteria at Assembly Hall in the embedded photo gallery after the jump. Purchase prints from J. Scott Sports.
Tom Crean and Yogi Ferrell met with the media following Friday’s Hoosier Hysteria at Assembly Hall. Watch and listen to their reaction in the embedded media players below:
With Hoosier Hysteria set to tip off the 2013-2014 season on Friday night, Indiana released final details on the season-opening event via a press release on Thursday.
Here is the full release:
The 2013-14 college basketball season begins when Indiana University hold its annual Hoosier Hysteria presented by Smithville on Friday, October 4 in storied Assembly Hall. Doors will open at 5 p.m., with the program set to formally begin at 7:30 p.m.
– Admission is free but fans are encouraged to bring a canned food item and donate it to Hoosier Hills Food Bank. Last year, IU fans donated 12,540 pounds of food.
– Fans at home may follow the action on the Big Ten Digital Network. The cost to join is $14.95 for the month of October and includes Hoosier Hysteria and the first exhibition game against Southern Indiana. Fans may sign up at http://www.iuhoosiers.com/allaccess/.
– Beginning at 2 p.m. there will be a DJ, concessions and a video board showing highlights and games from last season on the south side outside of Assembly Hall.
– The women’s basketball team will hold a practice on the Assembly Hall floor from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
– The video board in Assembly Hall will have highlights, games from last year and basketball themed movies as time allows. In additions, videos introducing the new members of the team will be played.
Late Friday afternoon, Indiana released more details for next Friday’s Hoosier Hysteria.
Starting at 2 p.m. on the south side of Assembly Hall, IU will provide a D.J., concessions and a video board showing highlights and games from last season. As has been previously reported, doors open at 5 p.m.
The IU women’s basketball team will hold practice from 5:30 to 6:30, with the main program featuring the men’s team beginning at 7:30.
After the event, players will sign autographs (one item per person) for an hour on the Assembly Hall concourse level.
The entire release from IU is posted below, which includes additional information on the day’s events: