It was revealed earlier in the week that Lindy’s Sports had tabbed Indiana as its preseason No. 4 team nationally.
Now that the digital version of Lindy’s is officially out, here are some additional notes on Indiana and the Big Ten at-large from the annual publication.
· Lindy’s ranks the top 25 players at all five positions nationally and several IU players are featured. Yogi Ferrell is listed as the No. 4 point guard in the country, James Blackmon Jr. is ranked the sixth best shooting guard and Troy Williams is the sixth best small forward. Thomas Bryant is recognized as a “freshman of note.”
Interestingly, Lindy’s writes that there “might not be a more improved jump shooter in the Big Ten” than Williams.
· In terms of backcourts nationally, Indiana is ranked the sixth best behind Wichita State, Kentucky, Virginia, Kansas and Maryland.
· Beyond Maryland at No. 1 and Indiana at No. 4, Lindy’s ranks Purdue (21), Michigan State (23) and Michigan (33) in its preseason top 40.
· The publication also predicts the order of finish in the Big Ten as follows: Maryland, Indiana, Purdue, Michigan State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota, Nebraska, Penn State and Rutgers.
· On its preseason all-conference team, both Ferrell and Blackmon Jr. are first team, Troy Williams is second team and freshman Thomas Bryant is third team.
· A listing of conference superlatives tabs Nick Zeisloft as the league’s “best shooter,” Yogi Ferrell as the league’s “best playmaker” and Troy Williams as “most entertaining.”
· 2016 NCAA tournament predictions for Big Ten teams are as follows: Maryland (national champion), Indiana (Final Four), Michigan (One and done), Michigan State (Round of 32), Ohio State (One and done), Purdue (Round of 32) and Wisconsin (One and done).
· The Big Ten is rated behind the ACC as the nation’s second best conference.