With the fall semester beginning soon on Big Ten campuses, it’s time for our final look at who’s coming and going in the Big Ten for the 2015-2016 season.
Illinois (19-14, 7th place tie, NIT first round)
· Arriving: Aaron Jordan, D.J. Williams (247Composite top 100), Jalen Coleman (247Composite top 100), Mike Thorne (Graduate transfer from Charlotte)
· Departing: Aaron Cosby (transfer), Ahmad Starks (graduation), Austin Colbert (transfer), Nnanna Egwu (graduation), Rayvonte Rice (graduation)
Notes: Things are getting interesting in Champaign as Darius Paul was recently dismissed following an arrest on the program’s foreign tour, Tracy Abrams is out for the season with a torn Achilles and Jalen Coleman is out indefinitely with a stress fracture.
Indiana (20-14, NCAA tournament round of 64)
· Arriving: Juwan Morgan, O.G. Anunoby, Thomas Bryant (247Composite top 100), Max Bielfeldt (Michigan graduate transfer)
· Departing: Jeremiah April (transfer), Max Hoetzel (transfer), Stanford Robinson (transfer), Hanner Mosquera-Perea (dismissed), Devin Davis (dismissed)
Notes: Not much has changed for the Hoosiers in recent months other than knee surgery for James Blackmon Jr., walk-on Nate Ritchie’s decision to no longer play basketball and the addition of Josh Newkirk, who will sit out this coming season.
Iowa (22-12, 3rd place tie, NCAA tournament round of 32)
· Arriving: Ahmad Wagner, Andrew Fleming, Brandon Hutton, Christian Williams, Dale Jones, Isaiah Moss
· Departing: Aaron White (graduation), Gabriel Olaseni (graduation), Josh Oglesby (graduation), Trey Dickerson (transfer)
Notes: It’s been a quiet offseason in Iowa City, which is a departure from last summer when two players (Oglesby, Peter Jok) were arrested.
Maryland (28-7, 2nd place, NCAA tournament round of 32)
· Arriving: Diamond Stone (247Composite top 100), Jaylen Brantley, Robert Carter (Georgia Tech transfer), Rasheed Sulaimon (Duke graduate transfer)
· Departing: Dez Wells (graduation), Evan Smotrycz (graduation), Jon Graham (graduation), Richaud Pack (graduation)
Notes: The Terrapins were recently tabbed as ESPN.com’s preseason No. 1 team.
Michigan State (27-12, 3rd place tie, NCAA tournament Final Four)
· Arriving: Deyonta Davis (247Composite top 100), Eron Harris (West Virginia transfer), Kyle Ahrens, Matthew McQuaid (247Composite top 100)
· Departing: Branden Dawson (graduation), Travis Trice (graduation)
Notes: The Spartans are currently on a foreign tour, but Harris and Alvin Ellis are not playing due to off the court issues.
Michigan (16-16, 9th place)
· Arriving: Duncan Robinson (Williams College transfer), Moritz Wagner
· Departing: Max Bielfeldt (transfer)
Notes: The biggest Michigan basketball news of the summer wasn’t roster related. It was the announcement that the Wolverines will move to Jordan Brand next summer.
Minnesota (18-15, 10th place tie)
· Arriving: Dupree McBrayer, Kevin Dorsey (247Composite top 100), J.R. Gilbert, Jordan Murphy
· Departing: Andre Hollins (graduation), Deandre Mathieu (graduation), Elliott Eliason (graduation), Maurice Walker (graduation)
Notes: The Gophers now just have a four-man recruiting class arriving as Jonathan Nwankwo (academics) and Jarvis Johnson (medical reasons) will not be on the roster. Nwankwo is headed to VCU and Johnson will be a student at the university, but will not play. Murphy, a former VCU recruit, committed in mid-May. Minnesota also added Reggie Lynch, who will sit out as a transfer and Davonte Fitzgerald, another transfer who must sit out next season.
Nebraska (13-18, 12th place)
· Arriving: Andrew White (Kansas transfer), Barkari Evelyn, Ed Morrow, Glynn Watson (247Composite top 100), Jack McVeigh, Michael Jacobson
· Departing: David Rivers (graduation), Tarin Smith (transfer), Leslee Smith (graduation), Moses Abraham (graduation), Terran Petteway (early entry), Walter Pitchford (early entry)
Notes: The Huskers announced the hiring of assistant coach Phil Beckner earlier this month. The Huskers also added Louisville transfer Anton Gill this offseason, who will sit out and become eligible in 2016-2017.
Northwestern (15-17, 10th place tie)
· Arriving: Aaron Falzon, Derek Pardon, Joey van Zegeren (Graduate transfer from Virginia Tech), Jordan Ash
· Departing: Dave Sobolewski (graduation), Jeremiah Kreisberg (graduation), Jershon Cobb (graduation), Johnnie Vassar (transfer)
Notes: Chris Collins announced Tre Demps, Alex Olah and Sanjay Lumpkin as captains for the 2015-2016 season in early August.
Ohio State (24-11, 5th place, NCAA tournament round of 32)
· Arriving: A.J. Harris (247Composite top 100), Austin Grandstaff (247Composite top 100), Daniel Giddens (247Composite top 100), JaQuan Lyle (247Composite top 100), Mickey Mitchell, Trevor Thompson (transfer from Virginia Tech)
· Departing: Amir Williams (graduation), Anthony Lee (graduation), D’Angelo Russell (NBA), Sam Thompson (graduation), Shannon Scott (graduation), Trey McDonald (graduation)
Notes: No major updates in recent months for the Buckeyes, who are going to have a much different roster next season with six newcomers arriving.
Penn State (18-16, 13th place)
· Arriving: Josh Reaves (247Composite top 100), Mike Watkins (247Composite top 100), Deividas Zemgulis
· Departing: D.J. Newbill (graduation), Ross Travis (graduation), John Johnson (graduation), Geno Thorpe (transfer)
Notes: The Nittany Lions added UConn transfer Terrence Samuel, who will have to sit out next year, in early July.
Purdue (21-13, 3rd place tie, NCAA tournament round of 64)
· Arriving: Grant Weatherford, Ryan Cline, Caleb Swanigan (247Composite), Johnny Hill (UT-Arlington grad transfer)
· Departing: Bryson Scott (transfer), Jon Octeus (graduation)
Notes: The Boilermakers announced in July that the Big Ten granted Jacquil Taylor a medical hardship waiver, restoring his freshman season of eligibility.
Rutgers (10-22, 14th place)
· Arriving: Corey Sanders (247Composite top 100), Deshawn Freeman, Jonathan Laurent, Justin Goode, Kejuan Johnson
· Departing: Junior Etou (transfer), Kadeem Jack (graduation), Kerwin Okoro (transfer), Malick Kone (graduation), Myles Mack (graduation)
Notes: No major news over the last couple of months for Eddie Jordan, who needs to build some roster stability as he attempts to pull the Scarlet Knights out of the Big Ten cellar.
Wisconsin (36-4, Big Ten champion, NCAA tournament runner-up)
· Arriving: Alex Illikainen, Brevin Pritzl (247Composite top 100), Charlie Thomas, Khalil Iverson, Andy Van Vliet
· Departing: Duje Dujan (graduation), Frank Kaminsky (graduation), Josh Gasser (graduation), Sam Dekker (early entry), Traevon Jackson (graduation)
Notes: The biggest story surrounding Wisconsin basketball is the status of Bo Ryan, who previously announced that the 2015-2016 would be his last, but now appears to be wavering on that announcement.
Filed to: 2015-2016 Big Ten preview